What steps should I take?

Report in person to the information desk of the Amt für Wirtschaft und Arbeit (Office for Economic Affairs and Employment) as soon as possible but no later than the day on which you become unemployed. The other steps you will have to take are outlined in the presentation below. The Arbeitslosenkasse (unemployment fund) (blue background) requires various documents in order to be able to make payments to you. Proof of your personal endeavours to find work is to be submitted to the Regionales Arbeitsvermittlungszentrum (regional jobcentre) (green background) and the appointments must be kept.

Endeavours to find work before and during unemployment but all during the month in each case
>> More about endeavours to find employment
Personal registration with the Amt für Wirtschaft und Arbeit (AWA)
>> More about the initial registration
Consultations and appointments with the RAV
>> More about appointments at the RAV
Application for unemployment compensation (ALE)
>> More about applying for ALE
Submission of the completed form Details of the insured person each month
>> More about the self-declaration
Payment of unemployment compensation (ALE)
>> More about payment of benefits